Sunday, March 25, 2012

Caldecott and Newbery Book Awards


I am an avid follower of the Caldecott and Newbery Medal award book titles awarded each year.

The Caldecott Medal was named in honor of nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph Caldecott. It is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.


The Newbery Medal is awarded annually by the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.

Currently in my home collection, I have roughly half of the titles. Sadly some are out of print and difficult to find. Over time I will share and give my opinions on many of these titles. Some of the titles I believe are very deserving of the awards, and some are more of a head scratcher.

Currently I am trying to read through each Newbery title. I cannot say I have read them all. I have read all of the Caldecott titles that are available in print.

No comments:

Post a Comment